Sunday, March 2, 2014

"The Four Loves: An Exploration of the Nature of Love" by CS Lewis



"We need others physically, emotionally, intellectually; we need them if we are to know anything, even ourselves."


This quote was the first of MANY that I underlined for future reference.  For me, there were so many beautiful moments to this book.  CS Lewis has such a gift for articulating feeling into words.  I found this book to be very informative, and interesting.  However, it was definitely one of those books that I had to give my undivided attention if I wanted to get anything out of my reading for the day.  Sometimes it was like a textbook, where you have to read the same sentence six times before you internalize it.  And that is to say nothing against CS Lewis, as I think him to be a brilliant writer - his style is just so different from what we are used to today, that it took my full focus to really digest what I was reading.  But overall, I really enjoyed this book.

So now onto the more specific, breakdown...

In the introduction, Lewis says:

"I still think that if all we mean by our love is a craving to be loved, we are in a very deplorable state."

This comment stuck with me for several reasons.  First off - how true! It is not enough in life to want only for others to love us.  True joy in love comes from the ability and opportunity to love others.  But then, secondly, I thought about how very common it is for us to experience "a craving to be loved" over a natural love.  I would by lying if I said I had never been in this position.  The sad truth is that it happens every time I watch a chick-flick.  At the end of the movie when the heroine finally gets the guy and the camera does a slow zoom out of them kissing - my first thought is always "Ugh! I just want a man!"  There is honestly never a moment when I think about the love that I do have in my life or a second where I take the time to be grateful for that love.  In those moments, I always think of the love I do not have, and how much I wish I had it.  I crave that perfectly scripted romantic comedy and somehow label that as love.

I am glad that Lewis put this comment so early on it the book.  It was very beneficial to me to make that discovery about myself in enough time to consciously be thinking of what I can do to better love as I went through this book.

We have to keep in mind though, that this "craving to be loved" is not unusual and we cannot be blamed or feel guilty for experiencing it.

"...our whole being by its very nature is one vast need..."

We must remember that Need-love is normal and one of the natural loves.  It is, however, when Need-love becomes the main, or only, love, that we have a problem.  We must be able to find a balance between all the loves - always striving for that God like love of Charity.

I loved how Lewis discussed the way human love deems itself God-like.

"Every human love, at its height, has a tendency to claim for itself a divine authority.  Its voice tends to sound as if it were the will of God Himself.  It tells us not to count the cost, it demands of us a total commitment, it attempts to over-ride all other claims and insinuates that any action which is sincerely done 'for love's sake' is thereby lawful and even meritorious."

How many of us have not known someone whose human love was like this?  I think we see it all the time, especially when young kids and teenagers claim they are in love.  This obsession with the idea of love drives them to believe it is power above all else and therefore, their actions are justified - even when we, and they, know them to be wrong.  I can't help but think of The Little Mermaid..."But Daddy, I love him!"  Ariel justified her disobedience with her love for the prince - as if it needed no other explanation and was not deserving of punishment.  I love The Little Mermaid as much as the next girl, but this is a prime example.

Lewis follows up this idea by saying:

"We may give our human loves the unconditional allegiance which we owe only to God...Then they will destroy us, and also destroy themselves.  For natural loves that are allowed to become gods do not remain loves.  They are still called so, but can become in fact complicated forms of hatred."



In the first chapter, Lewis expounds more on the dangers of harboring only Need-loves.  He states:

"...the Need-love...will not last longer than the need.  ...where Need-love is left unaided we can hardly expect it not to 'die on us' once the need is no more."

It is, therefore, important for us to enjoy and employ the other forms of love. In fact, most of the loves, in a sense, are Need-loves - for they need other loves to exist.  Lewis says of Affection:

"It is a Gift-love but it needs to be needed."

The chapter on Affection was one of my favorites.  To me, Affection seemed like such a pure and God-like love on its own, because...

"This warm comfortableness, this satisfaction in being together, takes in all sorts of objects. ...It ignores the barriers of age, sex, class and education."

What a beautiful thing! And how many of us can claim never to have felt this?  I think it manifests itself daily in friendships, or endearments towards neighbors, coworkers and peers - and this because...

"The especial glory of Affection is that it can unite those who most emphatically, even comically, are not [made for one another]; people who, if they had not found themselves put down by fate in the same household or community, would have had nothing to do with each other."

Affection can be given by anyone to anyone else.  It is the basis for all love....

"But Affection is often assumed to be provided, ready made, by nature; 'built-in,' 'laid-on,' 'on the house.'  We have a right to expect it.  If the others do not give it, they are 'unnatural.'"

We cannot force people to love us, and the unfortunate truth is that not everyone will.  We cannot expect them to.  Do you love everyone you come in contact with? Ideally, we would - in a perfect Christlike manner, but I will be the first to admit that I have fallen short in that area.  I do not have Affection for everyone I meet.

"For the very same conditions of intimacy which make Affection possible also - and no less naturally - make possible a peculiarly incurable distaste; a hatred as immemorial, constant, unemphatic, almost at times unconscious, as the corresponding form of love. ...The 'built-in' or unmerited character of Affection thus invites a hideous misinterpretation.  So does its ease and informality." 

We cannot allow this however to taint our desire or appreciation for Affection, as...

"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our natural lives."

But...

"Affection produces happiness if - and only if - there is common sense and give and take and 'decency.' In other words, only if something more, and other, than Affection is added. ..If we try to live by Affection alone, Affection will 'go bad on us.'"



The next chapter was Friendship.  There were a lot of very interesting things I found in this particular chapter as well, the first being Lewis' idea that...

"...very few modern people think Friendship a love of comparable value or even a love at all."

This surprised me.  I have had the blessing in my life to experience friendships that can be described as no less than Love itself.  It seems odd to me that people would not consider Friendship to be love at all.  I identify more with "the Ancients," about whom Lewis said:

"To the Ancients, Friendship seemed the happiest and most fully human of all loves; the crown of life and the school of virtue.  The modern world in comparison ignores it."

I still find the accusation of the modern world shocking.  For anyone who has experienced the true love of Friendship, you know that it cannot be ignored.  Though, I think Lewis has a point.  He lived in different times than we do now, but if you look at our own era - what real friendships still exist?  We do everything via technology.  Even this book club is online where we don't actually have to interact with one another. Today, the definition of Friendship seems to be whether or not someone follows you on online social networks.  And what a shame!  Because true, human, interactive friendships are some of the most powerful things I have ever experienced.  And, Lewis agrees when he states:

"...few value it because few experience it."

It is no less true today than when this book was written.  If anything, it is more true. Friendship is something we should all have the opportunity to experience, for, as Lewis put it...

"It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival."

Lewis labels Friendship as the most spiritual of the loves - calling it almost angelic - and I am inclined to agree.



The next chapter, Eros, I found less appealing than the others, and perhaps that is because I don't think I have ever personally experienced this kind of love.  I did however, find many part of Eros to be beautiful.  I loved when Lewis quoted Charles Williams who said:

"Love you? I am you."

That particular quote reminded me of my favorite novel "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, in which the character Cathy gives a stunning speech about her love for Heathcliff stating "I am Heathcliff!"

I loved when Lewis called Eros...

"...both pathetically and absurdly beautiful."

I find this to be true, especially in regards to some of his other musings.  For instance:

"...it is the very mark of Eros that when he is in us we had rather share unhappiness with the Beloved than be happy on any other terms."

"To meet the Beloved is to realize, 'We loved before we were born.'"

To me these things are simultaneously ridiculously pathetic and "absurdly beautiful."



The final chapter, Charity, was one that I am not sure I can do justice to.  So let me just share some of my favorite gems...

"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose. ...There is no safe investment.  To love at all is to be vulnerable.  Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. ...[however] Christ did not teach and suffer that we might become, even in the natural loves, more careful of our own happiness. ...If our hearts need to be broken, and if He chooses this as the way in which they should break, so be it."

"It is probably impossible to love any human being simply 'too much.'"

"There is of course a sense in which no one can give to God anything which is not already His; and if it is already His what have you given? But since it is only too obvious that we can withhold ourselves, our wills and hearts, from God, we can, in that sense, also give them."

"There is something in each of us that cannot be naturally loved. ...We can be forgiven, and pitied, and loved in spite of it, with Charity; no other way."

"By loving Him more than them we shall love them more than we now do."



I really thought this book was an excellent exploration of the human nature towards love and I hope that each of you have gained from it as much as I have.  Please add to the discussion by commenting below.  I look forward to reading what you took out of this book!

To end, I will quote once again, the brilliant CS Lewis...

"If anything in it is useful to you, use it; if anything is not, never give it a second thought."






4 comments:

  1. I'm in a different place of my life than you and so most of what I got from the book was different from you. However, I also loved the quote about love making us vulnerable. How true is that? I can't think of a single object or person I have loved that hasn't caused at least a little heartache either because of a choice they made or because I see them sad or sick. I also like that he said that "the only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell." Really, where else could you go to avoid love? To love is to hurt a little. But in a good, beautiful way.

    As for me, the things that struck me the most were:

    1-It is true that we all expect love. The question is, do we all deserve it? C.S. Lewis said, "What we have is not 'a right to expect' but a 'reasonable expectation' of being loved by our intimates if we, and they, are more or less ordinary people. But we may not be. We may be intolerable." I looked over my life and wondered what parts of me would make me intolerable to love. I looked at the people in my life I struggled to love and asked myself what it was about them that made it hard. In a lot of cases it was the fact that they have, as C.S. Lewis put it, a "continual demand" to be loved. How annoying can it be to have someone pushing and hinting about how much they crave your love. Then I thought...wait, God has told us to love everyone. And here C.S. Lewis is saying that some of us are intolerable and can't expect love. Is this justification for my lack of love towards certain people? After reading the rest of the book, though, I realized that what was really being said was that as humans we are not always lovable. And Love Himself is the only possibility for us to be loved at all times. If we rely on affection or friendship to find ourselves feeling love towards our fellow men, we will be in a sad state. We just can't do it. If we open up to God's love, then all other forms of love are possible. With anyone. At any time. So I have a lot to work on.

    2-Near the end of the book, C.S. Lewis said something that caused me to look at my life and my attitude and I found a need to change. He said, "we have not got far enough if we play a game of cards with the children 'merely' to amuse them or to show that they are forgiven. If this is the best we can do we are right to do it. But it would be better if a deeper, less conscious, Charity threw us into a frame of mind in which a little fun with the children was the thing we should at that moment like best." It was practically a slap in my face because lately I have patted myself on the back every time I spend time with my boys, or someone else who I feel needs it. I don't do it because I WANT to, but more because I know they need me to. It's not wrong for me to do things for others, but really, what kind of attitude is that?! "Yay me, I am such an awesome person for spending 15 minutes playing that stupid game and making my child happy. Now to reward myself...." If I have the right attitude, then spending time with my children is in itself a reward....and how much better off am I? When I focus on others instead of myself, my whole world feels lighter. Playing with my kids can be fun instead of just another thing to check off my "list of things to do today". Let's be honest, it's probably more fun for them too. I've tried to practice this in all my relationships over the past few days and the change has been phenomenal. I'm so much happier, my children are so much happier, my whole family is much happier. Also the days don't drag on the way they used to!

    This book was such a perfect thing for me to read at this point in my life. I needed to be reminded of how I can best experience love in my relationships and C.S. Lewis put it in terms I could understand and connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the Four Loves, but can I join the book club for your next read? Pretty please? You had me at "Pickwick."Also "book club."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! We'd love you to join :) Our next read is "Why Men Love Bitches" by Sherry Argov.

      Delete
  3. I don't know that my comments will be quite so profound as the previous ones. I do not have the English gift. My girls got that from their father.
    I did, like Leisl, find that this book required my full attention and some things were read multiple times and still not fully understood.
    My two favorite chapters were the chapter on Friendship and the one on Charity.

    I think as a women, we crave or need deeper friendships than most men. I wonder how many of us are satisfied with how we perceive our friendships. I find a lot of women feel they need more (me included). C. S. Lewis seemed to have a really good grasp on how friendships work. A couple of quotes I really liked in this chapter:
    "In friendship, to divide (by accepting more friends into a group) is not to take away. We possess each friend not less but more as the number of those with whom we share him/her increases."

    I'm not so sure all women feel this way. We are terrible at wanting a best friend and think they should have no other friends except us, although we are allowed other friends. How we would grow if we could just let go and consider every friend our best friend.

    "You have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another."

    Makes me think about my friends and what I have to give them (what is the need they have that I can fill) or what I have to learn from them.

    On to Charity:

    "To receive is harder and perhaps more blessed than to give."

    "Sometimes we need to throw away our silver to make room for the gold."

    Our activities may be good but making time for others is better.

    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date."

    "When we see the face of God we shall know that we have always known it."

    Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete