Monday, August 17, 2015

Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem By: Melissa Lemon

Well kids, what did you think?  I say kids, because I feel that this book was geared strongly towards a younger age group than myself.  When I first started reading it, I found the narration almost laughable.  I thought it was a clever idea to have the story narrated by the mirror, since he could be an all seeing being, but I thought his interjections and the author's attempt to make him an endearing part of the story was a little absurd and weak.  I admit that as I got farther into the book and was able to settle into the rhythm of narration, I enjoyed it a lot more.  It gets a lot of points for not being predictable, that's for sure.


I thought the pace of the book went fairly well...until the end.  The conclusion seemed to just flash by and I felt like Queen Radiance went down without much of a fight.  I had the thought as she was trying to conjure a spell to fight, "When you don't know what to do, just add magic." I also thought that it was kind of sweet that her father brought her back from her weird frozen spell - but I do miss the romance of her being saved by a kiss.  The snow spell was a little bizarre anyway, albeit creative - I don't think I would have come up with it.


I felt like Barney's switch was really drastic as well. His change from kind to drunk and mean was understandable with all the drinking he started doing, but it was the blindness that confused me.  I felt like he went blind overnight, which seemed...unrealistic.  And maybe it is a thing and maybe it happens, but it didn't work for me.


I know I've been really negative about the book so far, but it did end up being pretty enjoyable.  I thought the character development, especially for the dwarves, was great.  I felt reasonably attached to all of them and was horrified when Pokole died.


It really was a sweet story and a nice easy read.  I think it is something that can be enjoyed by adults as a fun, relaxing book as well as being an exciting tale for younger audiences. 


What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment